Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Quick Note on Exhaustion...

I don't think I could be more exhausted. On my third day of working 12 hour days and I give everyone who does so on a regular basis all year round SO much credit. Truly- to those people I bow down to you. As for me, I certainly have my limits. If I hadn't popped an adderall before the night started at the restaurant I don't think I would have made it because I was already dragging at the pharmacy.

But then I had the most lovely conversation with a wonderful couple that comes in the restaurant all the time. They are older, locals in this tourist community, and very involved. We chatted about sororities, my degree in religion/sociology, and ended up talking about Catholic church reforms. To my surprise I walked away from that conversation feeling incredibly energized... as it turns out I can be physically exhausted to the point where I'm ready to curl up in a floor in the corner, and get a second wind from a rather short conversation. Thinking about this later I decided that it felt so good because I was using my brain for the first time in a few days, and it felt great. Talking to people who were interested in my opinion, wanted to discuss things that required some critical thinking, and listening to their own opinions is clearly something I've been missing and I didn't even know it. All the more motivation to finish the summer and find a job where my intelligence is an asset and I'm not just pressing buttons, repeating myself, and smiling at grumpy old people and tourists until I think my face is frozen!

xoxo
T

No comments:

Post a Comment